Volunteer at the Tidepools
Our volunteer naturalists lead tours of the intertidal environment, help with events, and interact with members of the public to bring the wonders of the reserve to life and foster a sense of stewardship.
On weekdays, volunteers lead tours for school groups. On weekends and holidays, volunteers lead tours or roam the reef to interact with drop-in visitors.
Volunteer Naturalist Training Class
Our training class for becoming a volunteer naturalist covers marine biology, ecology, and interpretive strategies.
The FFMR Volunteer Naturalist Training Class typically consists of 10 Saturday afternoon (noon-5pm) classes in January-March, plus six additional hours spent at the Reserve with a mentor. Classes are held on the Coastside near the Reserve and at the Reserve. Download 2017 FFMR Training Class Schedule
Sign Up for the 2017 Volunteer Naturalist Training Click to download the registration form, which needs to be returned by mail no later than December 15, 2016.
Tell Your Friends! Download Flyer for the 2017 Volunteer Training
As a tidepool Volunteer Naturalist at Fitzgerald Marine Reserve you will be walking on slippery and uneven surfaces for up to two hours at a time. Volunteer Naturalists must be physically capable to navigate the rocks and reef, and be over 17 years old.
Volunteer Naturalists are required to volunteer a minimum of 6 hours per month during the busy season (January through June), and 4 hours per month July through December.
If you have any questions about the training, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class Topics and Schedule
Here are the topics typically covered in the training.
- Class overview, FFMR discussion, FMR discussion, Phyla Overview, Tides and Zonation; Trip to FMR*
- Echinoderms and Cnidarians; Mentoring Program
- Marine Mammals
- Tidepool Ecosystems and Interpretive Techniques/Conducting Tours
Schedule for 2017 Training
The 2017 training schedule is as follows: All classes are held at the Reserve unless otherwise noted.
- January 7 9:00am to 2:00pm
- January 14 9:00am to 2:00pm
- January 21 9:00am to 2:00pm
- January 28 12:00pm to 5:00pm
- February 4 12:00pm to 5:00pm
- February 11 12:00pm to 5:00pm
- February 18 NO CLASS HOLIDAY WEEKEND
- February 25 12:00pm to 5:00pm
- March 4 12:00pm to 5:00pm
- March 11 12:00pm to 5:00pm
- March 18 12:00pm to 5:00pm
- March 25 Graduation Party
If you can’t attend the training but still want to help, there are a number of jobs for which training is not required. These include contributing photos and articles to our web site and running beach cleanups. Contact email@example.com for more information.